[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 12:55:07 UTC 2006

A few random thoughts about this.

I am extremely happy that the Asian continents, and the Chinese
particularly, are working on such a project.

As a matter of fact, I believe that local "Wikimanias" or local
"Wikimedia conferences" should be held on a very regular basis, in
order to strengthen the community around the world and regionally.

I have been thinking about these extensively thanks to Effeitsanders
who has launched the idea of the "Wikimania reloaded" (working name)
in the Netherlands and has many times asked for my input, which I
scarcely gave (I didn't know what to say). So here are my thoughts
about the whole idea, now that I have thought about it.

I believe regional conferences should be planned with the Foundation
for many reasons:
1) I find it a bit sad having two conferences (or three, as is) so
close together. The idea of having a "worldwide conference" should not
be impeeded by other conferences around the world, because it:
a) spreads the attendance
b) spreads the sponsors
c) spreads the speakers
d) somehow defeats the whole point of having a world-wide conference
(why would I go to Boston or Frankfurt if there is a conference nearer
to me three weeks afterwards?)
And anyway, it is using the trademarks, so the Foundation should have
an input in it, especially where local chapters are not present, so as
to make sure that the name and spirit is used in the right way (not to
mention the logos ;-) )

In the end, I believe working together allows synergy. Working each in
our own little corner thins out the efforts. I urge the organizers of
the Chinese conference to get in touch with the Board to explain what
they want to do and how, so that we can coordinate all of this.

2) I am more in favour of an "Olympic Games" type thing, where we'd
have say Wikimania as an annual worldwide wikimedia conference once
every 4 years (or 2, or 6, I don't know) and then in the years in
between as many local conferences as there are people ready to
organize them.

That's for the grand scheme.

On the more specific matter of trademark and logo use for the Chinese
Conference:

1) Why use the Wikipedia logo if it is a Wikimedia conference?
2) I've changed the licence on the poster to a dual licence
{{copyrightbyWikimedia]] for the logo and CC-BY-SA for the design.

Best,

Delphine
(who still hopes to see Chinese and Dutch in Boston :-( )

--
~notafish