[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

R.O.C sdnyroc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 11:09:57 UTC 2006

i think so too, there is a huge cultural and language gap, many chinese
users have misunderstood the meaning of "wikimania" as simply a short word
for "wikimedia conference" or "wikimedia meetup" instead of "INTERNATIONAL
wikimedia conference" (of wikimedia foundation). most of them were not aware
that "wikimania" is a brand name and should be a trademark for the
foundation.

the chinese name for the chinese conference "中文維基年會" can be more precisely
translated as "chinese language wikipedia/wikimedia annual conference".
since the english name is seeked largely to serve international
attenders/readers, i think that suggestions/advice from international users
on the mailing list would probably be helpful and productive. if you have
comments, please kindly send it to the wikizh-l list at
wikizh-l at wikipedia.org.

(i personally still favor "chinese wikimedia conference" if authorized by
the foundation, which seems likely.)

the planning of the chinese conference is still in the early stage. it's not
clear how many would attend, but personally i would not be surprised by a
number between 20 and 100. it will be held on august 26-27 after wikimania
in boston.

roc (User:R.O.C)
--

在 2006/3/16,THD <theodoranian at gmail.com> 撰寫: