[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 08:30:21 UTC 2006

Angela wrote:
> I'm pleased to see a conference in China is being planned, but this
> and similar events really need to use a different name, both to
> prevent confusion with the actual Wikimania, and to avoid the need for
> each event to get permission from Wikimedia to use the name.
>
> Angela.

I agree. We are approaching people, sponsors and so, with the idea that
Wikimania is an ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL conference of our projects. And in
some texts, it also says it is organised by the Wikimedia Foundation.
It will be very confusing if many wikimanias are being organised per
year, some with 400 participants from many countries, others with 100
participants at a national level or why not even some wikimeet with 20
people. This will mean a wikimania is an meetup for some wiki users. No
more.

ant