[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

W. Guy Finley wgfinley at dynascope.com
Thu Mar 16 13:39:35 UTC 2006

Personally I think you guys are overreacting a bit.  When I sit down in a
few weeks and watch the College World Series, the Little League World Series
or the World Series of Poker for that matter I'm not suddenly surprised when
I don't see Major League Baseball teams there.  Similarly they don't call it
"The Major League Baseball World Series", it's just the "World Series" and
everyone knows what THE World Series is just like I think people will know
what THE Wikimania is.

It pretty clearly is billed as "Chinese Wikimania" which to me implies, it's
well, er, Chinese --  not the world-wide Wikimania.  Now, "Wikimania --
China 2006" might be confusing indicating that the world-wide Wikimania is
being held in China that year.  I don't think "Chinese Wikimania" has that
effect nor would "Danish Wikimania" or "American Wikimania", etc.

Finally, as someone who has had my fill mediating China-related disputes on
EN if the greater China editors managed to get together and agree on meeting
in Hong Kong I think they could call it the World Series of Wikimania for
all I care because I think that act of getting all those different groups
together is far more important than whatever they call it.

--Guy  (EN User: Wgfinley)