[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 17 00:17:14 UTC 2006

THD wrote:

>Chinese wikipedia community is still young and small. Chinese
>wikipedians are seperated by historic and political factors. Taking me
>as an example, in the past, I couldn't imagine I can join a project
>and work together with people from the "Hostile the Other side of the
>Strait". Then, we argued and had many conflicts in the Chinese
>Wikipedia. And now, we are trying to see each other to make friends,
>to share the knowledge of intellectual property rights, the new
>discoveries of wiki technologies, and to exchange opinions of managing
>and promoting the wikipedia and all the projects which Wikimedia
>foundation hosts, in our conservative society and even in an
>environment where PRC government banned Wikipedia.

This is what it is all about!

While I do not agree with the actions of the PRC government in this, I
can understand why they might be doing it.  It is still better than in
North Korea where as far as I can tell they avoid the problem by having
no public access to the internet at all.  During the time of the Shu
Jing the government could feel secure through it's control of the
calendar.  Being unable to control the public's access to information
can be very scary for governments who no longer would have the ability
to control the results.  When  the people cpme to an understanding by
themselves without the help of government, what need do we have of
governments?

>I admit the importance to work together. But I don't think we should
>do the same thing together all the time. After the wikimania in
>Boston, it's time to spread to strenthen the power of Wikimedia.

That's for the affected people to resolve.  I will not be attending this
event in Hong Kong, so my opinion does not matter.

Ec