[Foundation-l] Fair use images

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 9 17:08:13 UTC 2006

W. Guy Finley wrote:

>I think the first step is that any unlicensed image being uploaded as fair
>use and does not have a source and fair use rationale should be speedied.  I
>bet that's more than half of them right there.  The process of tagging them
>as no source and then waiting a week is just way too long and too
>susceptible to error.  It's the UPLOADER'S duty to make sure he/she is
>meeting license requirements, if they aren't met the image should go.  It
>shouldn't be the duty of the reviewer to prove it and that's usually the
>perception.

When you consider that some of these have already been here for a long
time without attracting attention, one more week is obviously a very
short time to wait.  It avoids the error of creating unnecessary
confusion.  Nobody's challenging the uploader's duty, or passing that
duty on to the reviewer; your unique perception does not make it so.
There's no reason to panic about this.

Ec