[Foundation-l] Fair use images

W. Guy Finley wgfinley at dynascope.com
Wed Mar 8 13:38:21 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06 6:31 AM, "! Chris Sherlock" <ta.bu.shi.da.yu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Short and sweet: we have too many of them, most of them aren't being used as
> "fair use" images, many don't have sources, almost none have fair use
> criteria, and more than a few are being used in articles that have no real
> need for them.
>
> May I suggest that we start taking action on this issue? IMO they are a
> ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Not only that, but they are diluting
> the "freeness" of the project and causing problems for those who want to use
> our material unaltered.
>
> TBSDY

I think we need some more speedy delete criteria for images, it is getting
out of hand and I completely agree this is a ticking time bomb.

I think the first step is that any unlicensed image being uploaded as fair
use and does not have a source and fair use rationale should be speedied.  I
bet that's more than half of them right there.  The process of tagging them
as no source and then waiting a week is just way too long and too
susceptible to error.  It's the UPLOADER'S duty to make sure he/she is
meeting license requirements, if they aren't met the image should go.  It
shouldn't be the duty of the reviewer to prove it and that's usually the
perception.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of "source" as well, some
folks seem to think citing a site that is a repository of unlicensed images
qualifies and it does not.  I think more precisely defining "source" as it
applies to images would be in order and a field to enter source information,
just like license information, should be added to the upload page.

--Guy  (EN User: Wgfinley)