[Foundation-l] Fair use images

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:24:01 UTC 2006

> W. Guy Finley wrote:
> >I think the first step is that any unlicensed image being uploaded as fair
> >use and does not have a source and fair use rationale should be speedied.  I
>
> When you consider that some of these have already been here for a long
> time without attracting attention, one more week is obviously a very
> short time to wait.  It avoids the error of creating unnecessary
> confusion.  Nobody's challenging the uploader's duty, or passing that
> duty on to the reviewer; your unique perception does not make it so.
> There's no reason to panic about this.

I agree with Ec entirely.  Image deletion is broken precisely because
it cannot be undone; please do not use it when deletion can be
avoided.

It is also the duty of text uploaders to describe the text's source,
and justify its applicability to the article; nevertheless, we engage
in discussion with editors rather than deleting insufficiently sourced
work.  This mainly works because you can remove text from a page
without deleting it from the edit history.

Consider creating a quarantine for images that appear to be improperly
tagged, or improperly used; removing images to that quarantine, and
leaving them there for a reasonable length of time (a month?) before
deleting them.  If anyone tries to remove a quarantined image, they
must give an explanation or proper tag.

SJ