[Foundation-l] Re : Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 12:49:41 UTC 2006

Traroth wrote:
> De : Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>
>
>>I may also hint at the fact that
>>we are volunteers and that volunteers can *choose* to take care of a
>>proposal... or not. We are under no obligation to spend hours studying
>>your proposals, and may prefer to focus on other issues of more interest
>>to us or where people will appreciate a bit more the efforts of the
>>team. The comments you made are not motivating in the least.
>

>>Anthere
>

> I completly disagree with this point. You are part of the Board. That's an engagement.
Things are made so the agreement of the Board is needed for some decisions.
It's unfair to say that the Board has the choice to *not decide* because
the members don't care.
Such a sentence could be demotivating for the whole project members :
why try to organize something,
if the Board take no decision about, not because the project is not
good, but only because they don't care ?

> Traroth

I absolutely agree with you.
The Board must take decisions, just as the SPC must take decisions

However, the Board is not here to make/create the projects for you. Nor
is the SPC here to make/create projects or proposals for you.

-------

Oscar best said it in an internal email

-------

dear gerard,

we value you contributions greatly too.
however, only rather incomplete answers were given to all our further
questions, such as:

    1. the spc needs a clear plan and time schedule. with more details
that we can understand somehow, both technically and financially.
    2. how many hours of whom are involved?
    3. where in the time plan are these hours?
    4. whom to fall back upon in case of problems?
    5. possible problems?
    6. possible extra costs?
    7. how much is the reserve for "unforseen costs" etc?

your application has nevertheless been approved. but it has been up to
the spc to sort out and estimate things which imo should have been the
task of the applyer to do.

all the best,
oscar

--------

We should be here to estimate the interest of a new project, to consider
  its possible implications etc... It is not our job to gather details,
to set up the budget, to hunt for the grant... this is *your* job. If
the applyer does his homework well, there is no reason a decision should
take forever. In this case, we had to do a lot of the homework and as
Oscar indicated, some answers were never answered.

My engagement to the board does involve taking decisions. It does not
involve doing all the grunt work. I can do a bit of it as everyone, but
I am streched to my limits.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding with regards to the role of the
SPC. Its role is not to propose and implement projects on its own. Its
role is to help decision-making. It can either decide in the name of the
board whether to start a project or not (if it received delegation from
the board) or it is meant to insure the board is receiving a pre-digest
proposal. The very idea of letting it entirely open appears very weird
to me. It would mean a group of random people can make legally and
financially binding decisions in the name of the board. There would be
no need for a board in this case.

Ant