[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 19:45:17 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would support Tim resigning as early as possible. I have nothing
> against him, but we need active board members and he is simply not.
> Resigning this summer for example.

*nod*

Do you think the Executive Director (CEO) would also be on the Board
at the same time?

> Outsiders will obviously be appointed. For community members, we roughly
> have 4 solutions
> * board appoint people (benefit, we are more likely to get people with
> the best skills compared with what we need. Drawback : see current
> criticism)
> * community votes for people (Drawback : less chance to get great people
> from minority languages or projects. Might miss some great choices.)
> * community votes per group perhaps, board pick up in the outcome
> (en.wiki arbitration type). (Drawback : board might be expected to pick
> up those with highest number of votes anyway)
> * Board pre-selection, then community vote (Benefit : more likely to get
> what is truely needed).

* The Board states certain requirements or wishes, and the community
self-selects / votes in knowledge of those stated requirements and
wishes. The Board can also invite people to be candidates, or endorse
particular candidates.

Erik