[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jun 6 11:27:47 UTC 2006

On 6/6/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Still... it is significant that the candidate with the most votes is
> from the language wikipedia which is the largest. Then that the two next
> candidates were respectively from the second biggest and third biggest
> languages (as well as in both cases participants to the english speaking
> version). Would a great italian person, not participating to the english
> or the french or the german languages have a chance ? Unlikely.

I'd say it's pretty much a requirement that a board member speak the
English language fairly well, since this is the language in which the
business of the board is conducted.  Location is enough of an issue,
no sense adding language to the mix.

Of course this doesn't rule out someone who doesn't participate at all
in the English language projects.  In fact, I suppose it doesn't even
rule out someone who doesn't speak English *if* the board wants to
spend foundation money hiring a translator.  But I do think it makes
is "unlikely", as you put it, that someone who doesn't participate at
all in the English language projects (or at the very least the mailing
lists) would make the best board member.

Maybe if there was already a translation system in place...