[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Tue Jun 13 17:31:21 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:

>Jimmy Wales wrote:
>

>>valdelli at bluemail.ch wrote:
>>

>>>The community could accept only representative members voted with normal
>>>procedure.
>>>

>>Of course.
>>
>>But community vote is not the only way to get board members.  We have
>>some very good board candidates who are not famous in the community and
>>who could bring to the table professional expertise that we greatly
>>need, but who would not put themselves through the troll wars of an
>>election.
>>

>This sounds reasonable, although I think they're not entirely different
>things, if we're speaking in an informal sense (which is really what
>will dominate community-board relations more than the formal setup
>will).  It's possible, for example, that there are people who would
>actually prevail in an election, but are deterred from running because
>of the election process.  If they were appointed, those people could be
>said in some tea-leaf-reading sense to actually represent the
>community.  Then there are gradations---people who wouldn't actually win
>an election, but who are generally respected and don't engender much
>objection; then unknown people; and finally people who are actively
>disliked by a large segment of the community.
>
>We could try some variation on some of the consensus-style methods we
>tend to use on the encyclopedia.  For example, solicit nominations,
>possibly in private, and then privately contact the people nominated to
>ask if they'd accept a position if chosen.  Then make a (public) list of
>potential candidates, and solicit feedback on them, possibly
>privately-expressed feedback so people don't have to publicly attack
>anyone.  Then appoint the people who have reasonably good consensus
>support.  Assuming the feedback is indeed expressed in private, and the
>list is more than a handful of people, those not selected shouldn't
>really be negatively impacted (not being selected for 2 slots out of a
>list of, say, 15 isn't particularly bad).
>
>This is a little trickier than the way we do it on articles, because to
>avoid public flamewars and driving people off, much of it would have to
>be done in private communications, and therefore the decision of what
>constitutes consensus would have to be made by whoever reads those
>emails.  It could be the current board, or someone they designate.
>Technically/formally, that would essentially be the board appointing new
>members itself, but if you five agree to follow some rough community
>consensus in making those appointments, I'm pretty sure you're not going
>to actually lie to us and claim someone had consensus support when they
>didn't, even if we have no way of verifying that.
>
>Anyway that's a pretty off-the-top-of-my-head outline of how to design a
>system that merges community consensus and sensitivity towards potential
>members who aren't politicians, so I'm sure there are better ways of
> [...]
Bah.

In other words we must allow the current stacked Board to stack the
future Boards to get the desired responsible, effective, expert Boards.

This begs the question ..... if a stacked Board is the best way to
attract the skills and participation needed to effectively manage our
communities then why is there a lackluster interest for volunteers with
the expertise to participate in current community management activities?

A bigger stacked Board micromanaging the community will leave us in the
future right where we are now.

regards,
lazyquasar