[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Jun 6 06:21:09 UTC 2006

Mathieu Amo wrote:
> On 6/6/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> To remove the bias of large language groups or large projects and to
>> make elections a less painful system, we might also rely on a system of
>> "grand electeurs" (each language/project nominate a couple of people to
>> vote in their name). The "grand electeurs " group being more likely to
>> elect people based on their participation on Foundation issues, rather
>> than purely on their fame.
>>

> I really like this idea, but it will be a tricky work to write down a
> policy for this kind of elections. This sounds a lot like the US
> Electoral College (that's where it's come from, I guess), but I think
> it will give us everything we need : the possibilty for the
> communities to really express themselves, and the assurance that the
> electors will have a good knowledge of the Foundation and its works.
> However, this would mean more wiki-politics. And nobody likes that.

Is the whole issue really a problem?  It only would be if everyone votes
mainly for "their" people, but I'm not sure that's the case, and
instituting a system like that might actually make it happen.  When the
first board elections were held, for example, Americans made up at least
a plurality of those voting, possibly a majority, and yet the two
winners were French and British (and the next-most-supported was German).

-Mark