[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 09:59:47 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:
> Mathieu Amo wrote:
>
>> On 6/6/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> To remove the bias of large language groups or large projects and to
>>> make elections a less painful system, we might also rely on a system of
>>> "grand electeurs" (each language/project nominate a couple of people to
>>> vote in their name). The "grand electeurs " group being more likely to
>>> elect people based on their participation on Foundation issues, rather
>>> than purely on their fame.
>>>

>> I really like this idea, but it will be a tricky work to write down a
>> policy for this kind of elections. This sounds a lot like the US
>> Electoral College (that's where it's come from, I guess), but I think
>> it will give us everything we need : the possibilty for the
>> communities to really express themselves, and the assurance that the
>> electors will have a good knowledge of the Foundation and its works.
>> However, this would mean more wiki-politics. And nobody likes that.
>>

> Is the whole issue really a problem?  It only would be if everyone votes
> mainly for "their" people, but I'm not sure that's the case, and
> instituting a system like that might actually make it happen.  When the
> first board elections were held, for example, Americans made up at least
> a plurality of those voting, possibly a majority, and yet the two
> winners were French and British (and the next-most-supported was German).
>
> -Mark

Hoi,
Do you believe people know and therefore vote on people "they" do not
know .. what would be the difference then between the people they know
and what is considered "their" people. So why do you think people will
not vote on their people?

When I voted for the board for the first time, I did not know any of the
members so I asked "my" people who to vote on. "They" said vote on
Angela and vote on Anthere because we certainly need someone who is not
English language based. I am still happy with this advise because they
became part of "my" board, but I disagree with what you say. It is
wishful thinking. Then again, having a two tired system is not
necessarily that great an idea either.

Thanks,
    Gerard