[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 5 00:27:51 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

> Dunno what are SSN's and EIN...

SSN = Social Security Number
Used as an identifying number for US citizens (and legal residents) in a
lot of settings, especially financial. Knowledge of someone's number has
great potential to allow identity theft, so should not be published
under any circumstances.
EIN = Employer Identification Number
Assigned mostly to corporations for tax purposes. Not used for as many
other things as an SSN, so there's a lot less potential for misuse. One
use of interest to us is that if a company has a charitable giving
program in which employees can have an amount withheld from their
paychecks to the charity of their choice, the company would need the
charity's EIN. I'm not aware of any serious problem for a nonprofit
publishing this number (the American Red Cross publishes theirs on their
website). In fact, I've suggested putting ours out there in order to
make it easier for companies to add us to gift-matching programs, but
I'm not aware that this has been done yet.

--Michael Snow