[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 01:26:09 UTC 2006

Michael Snow wrote:
> Anthere wrote:
>

>>Dunno what are SSN's and EIN...
>

> SSN = Social Security Number
> Used as an identifying number for US citizens (and legal residents) in a
> lot of settings, especially financial. Knowledge of someone's number has
> great potential to allow identity theft, so should not be published
> under any circumstances.
> EIN = Employer Identification Number
> Assigned mostly to corporations for tax purposes. Not used for as many
> other things as an SSN, so there's a lot less potential for misuse. One
> use of interest to us is that if a company has a charitable giving
> program in which employees can have an amount withheld from their
> paychecks to the charity of their choice, the company would need the
> charity's EIN. I'm not aware of any serious problem for a nonprofit
> publishing this number (the American Red Cross publishes theirs on their
> website). In fact, I've suggested putting ours out there in order to
> make it easier for companies to add us to gift-matching programs, but
> I'm not aware that this has been done yet.
>
> --Michael Snow

Okay.
Yes, we received such propositions from employees (donations to a
charity from their paychecks). afaik, that number is not published. That
might be a choice.
An alternative is that such programs must be made available by the
employer himself, who can contact us beforehand (through OTRS...) and
make the number available for the employees.

Michael ? opinion ?

ant