[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Wed Dec 20 23:14:02 UTC 2006

Dictionary translations are infamously bad, as anyone who has worked in
translation or even travelled overseas can tell you. In Israel, my friends and I
used to love checking out the menus of cheap restaurants for the bad
translations. Two favorites come to mind:

1. Difficult egg -- hard boiled egg
2. Grenade juice -- pomegranate juice

>From film subtitles (which I got a lot of money to correct) -- You sun of
the beach -- You son of a bitch ( I remember this especially because the
original translator argued furiously that I did not know popular idioms in  English
because I had lived overseas for too long, while he had an MA in English
Lit.).

I could go on and on. To translate adequately, you need to speak  both
languages. To translate well, you have to be immersed in both  cultures.

Danny
(10+ years translating professionally)

In a message dated 12/20/2006 5:32:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gerard.meijssen at gmail.com writes:

habj  schreef:
> 2006/12/18, Brad Patrick  <bradp.wmf at gmail.com>:
>
>> Most of  it
>> should be possible to translate with merely a  dictionary.
>>

> I must warn  against this attitude. Hardly anything can be translated
> with merely a  dictionary, lacking context. If one tries, one ends up
> with a certain  percentage of errors which sometimes just look a little
> funny and  sometimes look very bad.
>
> /habj
Hoi,
Translation with the  knowledge of only a dictionary gets you a
translation that is probably not  as good as a machine translation. For
material that needs to be just so  and this is true for the whole of
marketing / advertisement it PAYS to  have proper translations. It even
PAYS to have it done by a professional  translator because it is pennies
to the pound. When you have the  connections with translators you can
even get these translations for a  very reduced rate. It needs however a
proper understanding and approach. I  am sure you do not want to have a
translation into English for a message  like this on the English language
projects !!

I have been told that  a quality translation improves the reach of your
communication by at least  15%.

Thanks,
GerardM