[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 22:17:05 UTC 2006

2006/12/19, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se>:

> The existing Swedish translation, made by two anonymous editors,
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_C.O.R.E./sv
> has at least two obvious spelling errors (that any spellchecker
> would reveal) and several phrases that just sound stupid.  But
> worse than that, since no context is provided I cannot determine
> if "Count" is supposed to be the verb or the noun, and if "Total"
> is supposed to be the adjective (and what gender) or the noun
> (total sum, grand total), so I cannot tell if the current
> translations are OK or plain wrong.  I have to flip between the
> website and the phrase list, in a very frustrating hunt.

Agreed, this is a very bad environment to translate in.

I have not tried to translate that very page (and actually haven't
done that much on these fundraiser translations), but generally one
needs more context than the English originals in themselves give. My
best solution so far is to spend time in the IRC channels and ask
people who, for various reasons, are somewhat informed about what
various things are and how they are supposed to work.

/habj