[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Dec 19 13:53:53 UTC 2006

Aphaia wrote:

> Again, "the pun is one of most difficulties for translation".
> There are at least two ways to deal with:

C.O.R.E. is not a pun, because it isn't funny.  I'm not laughing
when I see this user interface and this translation request.
Most importantly, the translation request on meta doesn't provide
any context, not even a link back to the website
fundraising.wikimedia.org.

I made the Swedish translation of http://www.citeulike.org/
and that work was a dream, because of how the user interface was
designed.  It was the wiki principle applied to a UI.  I was
browsing the real website, never out of context, but every phrase
had an edit link.  There is a lot to learn from there.

The existing Swedish translation, made by two anonymous editors,
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_C.O.R.E./sv
has at least two obvious spelling errors (that any spellchecker
would reveal) and several phrases that just sound stupid.  But
worse than that, since no context is provided I cannot determine
if "Count" is supposed to be the verb or the noun, and if "Total"
is supposed to be the adjective (and what gender) or the noun
(total sum, grand total), so I cannot tell if the current
translations are OK or plain wrong.  I have to flip between the
website and the phrase list, in a very frustrating hunt.  The
first phrase in the list is the longest and hardest ("Discloses
fundraising data while preserving requested donor privacy."), but
I cannot find this phrase in the live user interface.  Since one
of the blatant spelling errors is in that phrase, I see no point
in fixing the spelling error while letting the rest of the overly
complicated phrase stand ("medans donatorns privatliv bevaras"
is worse than child language).

On the website fundraising.wikimedia.org, the first phrase on the
page is "Wikimedia Fundraising C.O.R.E." and I am allowed to
translate "Fundraising C.O.R.E.", but I cannot translate the next
line "Central Online Reporting Engine", so I suppose that phrase
will continue to appear in English?!  And the non-Swedish word
Fundraising is already in the URL, so there is little point in
trying to translate "Fundraising C.O.R.E.".

Judging from the French and Czech translations of the website, the
phrases "Coming soon: RSS feeds and maybe an IRC bot", "We're
working on translating this site into multiple languages. You can
help." and "Languages" still appear in English, as does the
navigation bar with "Gift Policy" and "Old Fundraising Records"

I give up.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)