[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 23:23:18 UTC 2006

Again, "the pun is one of most difficulties for translation".
There are at least two ways to deal with:
- 1. Leave both the current title and its full title in English, then
add the full title in Hungarian.
- 2. Ignore the English abbraviation title and put the Hungalian,
based on translation of the full title in English (Core Online R...
E....), either full lengthy one or abbraviation. Just Village Pump is
only named so in English and some communities have no idea what VP is
(I saw sometimes questions "Go to VP to do something" "What's VP?").

Personally I prefer the second, but again, it depends on the character
of your community. Some prefer 1, some 2. I have no idea.

On 12/19/06, Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I translated it to Hungarian, but I have to notice, that you cannot
> translate the meaning of C.O.R.E. Core Online Rsomething Esomething, that is
> displayed under the title, and thus you have the dilemma of wether to
> localise CORE.
>
> Regards, Bence
>
> On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Most of it
> > should be possible to translate with merely a dictionary.
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_C.O.R.E.
> >

> > JePe wrote:
> > > On http://fundraising.wikimedia.org there are now next to English some
> > > translations made. How can we make a translation in another language?
> > >
> > > Hans (JePe)

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *