[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 14:51:54 UTC 2006

Hello, though I am not in charge of this part, but I think it is not
bad to input my idea as non-English speaker & translator.

On 12/19/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> Aphaia wrote:
>
> > Again, "the pun is one of most difficulties for translation".
> > There are at least two ways to deal with:
>
> C.O.R.E. is not a pun, because it isn't funny.  I'm not laughing
> when I see this user interface and this translation request.
> Most importantly, the translation request on meta doesn't provide
> any context, not even a link back to the website
> fundraising.wikimedia.org.

Now the request page has a link to English page of CORE.

> On the website fundraising.wikimedia.org, the first phrase on the
> page is "Wikimedia Fundraising C.O.R.E." and I am allowed to
> translate "Fundraising C.O.R.E.", but I cannot translate the next
> line "Central Online Reporting Engine", so I suppose that phrase
> will continue to appear in English?!  And the non-Swedish word
> Fundraising is already in the URL, so there is little point in
> trying to translate "Fundraising C.O.R.E.".

Understood. David Strauss, can we change this setting? For non-English
people, roughly half of the users it is not meaningful, I am afraid
too.. At least for Japanese, because the English word "Fundraising" is
an unfamiliar word for ordinary Japanese. I recommend you to give a
chance to translators what they decide to; to leave it or to translate
into their language entirely.

> Judging from the French and Czech translations of the website, the
> phrases "Coming soon: RSS feeds and maybe an IRC bot", "We're
> working on translating this site into multiple languages. You can
> help." and "Languages" still appear in English, as does the
> navigation bar with "Gift Policy" and "Old Fundraising Records"
>
> I give up.

I think I can understand your frustration. It is not only frustrating
but also rather waste of work, because the horizontal navigation
(blue) can be easily filled with [[Wikimedia:Template:Fundraising
menu-xx]] or just asking some additional translations.
"Languages" are better to add to the request list ... David, would you
please consider those additional stuffs?

And I have no idea if it is good or not to represent English with UK
national flag. Is it controvertial for many language communities or
not?
Cheers,
--
KIZU Naoko