[Foundation-l] Welcome to our three new board members

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Dec 8 22:11:16 UTC 2006

On 12/8/06, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote:
> As will be made clear from the revisions to the Foundation Bylaws and
> the Board Expansion resolution adopted by the Board, your position is
> overstated.  Your call did not fall on 'deaf ears' - far from it.  You
> were heard.
>
> The Board will be composed of a majority of individuals from the
> community.  That does not require election of all board members, as you
> would prefer, only some.  Given the fiduciary responsibility required of
> all board members and the need for diverse talents, it is logical and
> effective to appoint some persons and not rely on an open election
> process for each position.
>
> Also, Board positions have terms now.  They are not indefinite, as
> Michael Davis, Tim Shell, and Jimmy Wales were in the past.  All will be
> subject to reappointment at the conclusion of their term, unless they
> resign earlier.
>
> The Board will also be expanded in size.  At this time, the number is
> now 7, up from 5.  It will increase further in the next year, probably to 9.

This is all great to hear.  Thanks to the board members who came up
with and supported this.  Sure, some compromises were evidently made,
but it's great to see a majority elected board and terms for the rest
of the positions.  Combined these two changes ensure that over time
the board is essentially entirely chosen by the community, a minority
just chosen indirectly.

Anthony