[Foundation-l] Welcome to our three new board members

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 8 16:57:51 UTC 2006

On 12/8/06, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I have nothing against Jan-Bart personally, just as I had nothing against
> Tim Shell. No doubt there were other factors that went into his selection
> besides his role in the Kennisnet hosting arrangement. But I have trouble
> believing that he would have been selected without it. I oppose his Board
> membership on principle, just as I continue to oppose that of Michael Davis.

In addition to what Brad said, I should point out that the
Kennisnet-Wikimedia relationship is not coincidental. Kennisnet's
purpose is to assist the educational sector in ICT use, and to develop
educational content. See more information about their mission here:
http://www.kennisnetictopschool.nl/international/

This is not a for-profit selling nudie pictures. Having spoken to many
people in the eLearning sector, Kennisnet is very much a name that is
known internationally. It's an organization that we would have built
bridges to under any circumstances, given the clear overlap of
interests. They are supporting us (including software development
projects) not because it's good PR, but because it makes sense for
them to do so.

Jan-Bart personally brings skills and knowledge to the Board that are
very much needed, given his long time management experience, his broad
network of contacts, and his solid understanding of eLearning
technology. If we want projects like Wikiversity and Wikibooks to
succeed, we need to draw from people outside the community of editors,
people who have been working in those areas for many years.

Appointing Jan-Bart to replace Tim Shell was not a reward for
Kennisnet's involement. As a matter of fact, due to conflict of
interest policies, Jan-Bart will now have to recuse himself from being
the number one point-man for Wikimedia in the Kennisnet organization.
Nor was this a shoe-in -- other names were floated and seriously
considered. We appointed him because we deeply believe that he will
greatly help our organization in the coming years.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.