[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 22:55:17 UTC 2006

> Some of us have differing cultural backgrounds and whats obvious to
> you may not be obvious to me... For example, as someone who's
> relationship has with western culture is weak at times (haven't owned
> a TV for the last decade, last show I 'watched' was probably Macgyver)
> I didn't at all see how the "are you saying I'm fat" thing could be at
> all taken as a remotely sexist comment until The Cunctator kicked me
> those links. Now I at least have some inkling.
>
> Or another example, I can't fully understand the comments on this
> thread about women and men being fundamentally different. But enough
> information was given that I can understand how differences in my
> background might bring me to different conclusions.
>
> In my life I interact with many men and women, some people are good at
> social/organizational issues and some are good at other things. It's
> been my experience that while there are more women with skillset A
> than skillset B, that doesn't imply that there are no women who are
> better at B than most men.  I interact with a number of very technical
> women and a number of very social men. So I find in my life that it's
> more important to understand how individual people approach an issue
> than it is to know what gender they are...
>
> I say that not to imply that the claim that 'woman and men will not be
> equal' was wrong, but only to point out that my background is
> obviously different and it will bring me to different conclusions.
>
> It is not always important to know who is "right" and who is "wrong",
> but it is almost always important that we all understand each other.
>
> So in the interest of understanding each other, please make an extra
> effort to explain your positions and to have patience with those of us
> who just don't get it as easily as you do. I know I fail at this
> myself sometimes... and I apologise for that.
>
> If any of the problems you were faced with were truly simple, they
> would be solved already. It will take all of us to solve the hard
> problems which remain.
>
> ... And please consider carefully before concluding that your concerns
> are being simply dismissed.

Thanks for the well-considered, eloquent addition to this discussion.
I have problems understanding comments concerning "fundamental"
differences between men and women (also due to my upbringing and
background) and I'm sure others have a problem understanding my
position. Your post is appreciated.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)