[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 18:13:46 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
> Read this thread and the one on wikien-l.

I know it's a lot of work but please try to be specific.

Some of us have differing cultural backgrounds and whats obvious to
you may not be obvious to me... For example, as someone who's
relationship has with western culture is weak at times (haven't owned
a TV for the last decade, last show I 'watched' was probably Macgyver)
I didn't at all see how the "are you saying I'm fat" thing could be at
all taken as a remotely sexist comment until The Cunctator kicked me
those links. Now I at least have some inkling.

Or another example, I can't fully understand the comments on this
thread about women and men being fundamentally different. But enough
information was given that I can understand how differences in my
background might bring me to different conclusions.

In my life I interact with many men and women, some people are good at
social/organizational issues and some are good at other things. It's
been my experience that while there are more women with skillset A
than skillset B, that doesn't imply that there are no women who are
better at B than most men.  I interact with a number of very technical
women and a number of very social men. So I find in my life that it's
more important to understand how individual people approach an issue
than it is to know what gender they are...

I say that not to imply that the claim that 'woman and men will not be
equal' was wrong, but only to point out that my background is
obviously different and it will bring me to different conclusions.

It is not always important to know who is "right" and who is "wrong",
but it is almost always important that we all understand each other.

So in the interest of understanding each other, please make an extra
effort to explain your positions and to have patience with those of us
who just don't get it as easily as you do. I know I fail at this
myself sometimes... and I apologise for that.

If any of the problems you were faced with were truly simple, they
would be solved already. It will take all of us to solve the hard
problems which remain.

... And please consider carefully before concluding that your concerns
are being simply dismissed.

For example, some folks on these threads have complained about the
stalking from multiply-banned misogynists crazy trolls as an example
of gender bias. Some of the respondants have indicated that they don't
think thats an example of gender bias... I believe this is because
because they see it as just an aspect of the overall problem of
trolling and crazy people which should be attacked as part of our
overall efforts against trolling and crazy people. At least thats my
view. This isn't being dismissive, .. it's just a disagreement about
what to call the problem. Even if we can never agree on what to call
it, it's still possible for us to agree on solutions.