[Foundation-l] [Wikichix-l] Moderating an open list

Puppy puppy at KillerChihuahua.com
Tue Dec 5 12:44:31 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
> I knew this subject will end up a huge troll, I knew it....
>

> Puppy wrote:
>
>> I would have preferred that not be done precipitously, without allowing
>> time for discussion. This is what, a two-day-old list, and a few men
>> have bitched about reverse discrimination, so oh too bad, let's toss the
>> women off the island??? "Peace of the community???' Bullshit. Several
>> men have supported the idea of a closed list. At least one woman (me)
>> has suggested opening the list. What about the peace of mind of women
>> contributors, to have a safe place to discuss issues? Oh, that's a
>> "women's topic" so its irrelevant?
>>
> `
> For the record, I do not appreciate the implication of your email saying
> that because the choice is made not to host the list on Wikimedia
> servers for the peace of our community, that necessarily implies that
> the women concerns are irrelevant. Since I originally agreed for the
> opening of that list, and later asked Angela to move it somewhere else,
> I tend to take your comment very personnally. I understand you are
> upset, but I still do not appreciate that.
>
> So, we have two options. Either a closed list. Or a heavily moderated list.
>
> I am not very happy with a closed list, restricted to women. I am not
> very supportive of positive discrimination. Men and women are different,
> with different concerns, different sensibilities, different interest,
> different approaches to things. I have never been of the opinion we
> should try to be "equal" in everything. I do not think we can be. We are
> complementing each other. Two parts of a complete piece. We overlap. But
> we will never be equal. Trying to push things toward an artificial
> equality will not change that. We need input of both parts and imho, to
> realise both parts are necessary in the debate. In this, I think the
> list should not be restricted to women.
>
> When the proposal was made to open and heavily moderate the list, Angela
> comment was quite straight. Very heavy moderation is a good idea. Now,
> who does it ? Being myself the (very light) moderator of about half a
> dozen lists, I echo her question. Who will take in charge the heavy
> moderation ? If you really want women to be safe, you need to approve
> requests for joining, which means in many cases, you need to know the
> people. First trap. Either you accept anonymous membership by default
> and hope all will go well, or you accept only those you know. Which
> again is discrimination.
> If you want the women to feel real secure, you need to moderate posts
> *before* they are posted. Second trap. Are you willing to check all
> emails before they are posted ?
> If you are the moderator, how do you judge which comments should be
> removed and which one kept ? if I wanted to feel *safe*, I would
> probably delete several emails on this list from the past days, and at
> least a dozen from wikien on the discussion 2 weeks ago. Do you feel
> [...]
<snip>
I apologize for being unclear. I meant that the posts which protested
the list were largely dismissing any concerns as irrelevant. Secondly, I
fail to see how you, who are clearly trying to do the best you can in a
divisive situation, were personally hurt by anything I said. I apologize
both for whatever I said which was at fault, and for failing to read my
own posts clearly enough to be able to recognize the offending content.
Thirdly, are you saying I was trolling?
-kc-