[Foundation-l] [Wikichix-l] Moderating an open list

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 12:31:28 UTC 2006

I knew this subject will end up a huge troll, I knew it....

Puppy wrote:
> I would have preferred that not be done precipitously, without allowing
> time for discussion. This is what, a two-day-old list, and a few men
> have bitched about reverse discrimination, so oh too bad, let's toss the
> women off the island??? "Peace of the community???' Bullshit. Several
> men have supported the idea of a closed list. At least one woman (me)
> has suggested opening the list. What about the peace of mind of women
> contributors, to have a safe place to discuss issues? Oh, that's a
> "women's topic" so its irrelevant?
`
For the record, I do not appreciate the implication of your email saying
that because the choice is made not to host the list on Wikimedia
servers for the peace of our community, that necessarily implies that
the women concerns are irrelevant. Since I originally agreed for the
opening of that list, and later asked Angela to move it somewhere else,
I tend to take your comment very personnally. I understand you are
upset, but I still do not appreciate that.

So, we have two options. Either a closed list. Or a heavily moderated list.

I am not very happy with a closed list, restricted to women. I am not
very supportive of positive discrimination. Men and women are different,
with different concerns, different sensibilities, different interest,
different approaches to things. I have never been of the opinion we
should try to be "equal" in everything. I do not think we can be. We are
complementing each other. Two parts of a complete piece. We overlap. But
we will never be equal. Trying to push things toward an artificial
equality will not change that. We need input of both parts and imho, to
realise both parts are necessary in the debate. In this, I think the
list should not be restricted to women.

When the proposal was made to open and heavily moderate the list, Angela
comment was quite straight. Very heavy moderation is a good idea. Now,
who does it ? Being myself the (very light) moderator of about half a
dozen lists, I echo her question. Who will take in charge the heavy
moderation ? If you really want women to be safe, you need to approve
requests for joining, which means in many cases, you need to know the
people. First trap. Either you accept anonymous membership by default
and hope all will go well, or you accept only those you know. Which
again is discrimination.
If you want the women to feel real secure, you need to moderate posts
*before* they are posted. Second trap. Are you willing to check all
emails before they are posted ?
If you are the moderator, how do you judge which comments should be
removed and which one kept ? if I wanted to feel *safe*, I would
probably delete several emails on this list from the past days, and at
least a dozen from wikien on the discussion 2 weeks ago. Do you feel
ready to do so for a list on wikimedia servers ? Because as soon as you
get the job, you'll have people complaining that you removed this
message and not that one. And then, in the name of democratie and
equality, you'll find yourself voting on whether to remove a message. or
not.

I have a memory of such an event on the french wiki pump, maybe a year
ago. A clueless visitor had left a honest question. And one of our admin
left a very sexist comment/answer there; I was deeply shocked. Very
deeply, in particular because the visitor... was just a visitor.
I removed the comment. It was immediately restored and I was stormed for
several days for having removed the comment. Which was considered
censorship. Are you ready to face screams and accusations of censorship
for having removed a sexist comment on a wiki ? Are you ready to face
screams and accusation of censorship for removing a message containing a
sexist comment on the list ?

Dunno about you, but me, no more. I choose my fights. I prefer working
as best as possible in the Foundation to show that women can perfectly
do that. That as long as our specific needs are acknowledged and taken
into account (which goes from not bugging us too much when we have our
periods, to paying nanny costs of a volunteer mom), we can do just as
best, if not better.
Wikipedia is plagued by sexism, but at least, it has shown it is an
environment where we have a chance to grow and show our own strengths.

If you really want that list on wikimedia servers, here is what I
recommand you do
1) make it an open list for men and women
2) get the agreement from Eloquence and Jimbo
3) take care of the moderation yourself, do not expect Angela to do it :-)

If you do that yourself, you are a winner.

anthere

No. I don't think so. Its a pity this