[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2006 : general meeting & getting involved

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 15:34:27 UTC 2005

Some points here:

Before answering what might be duplicated or wasted, let me ask:
1. Do you have a list of what tasks need to be done?
2. Since some of these tasks involve representing the foundation to
potential donors and making snap decisions regarding funding, do you
know who is authorized to make these decisions?
3. Have said people come aboard on this?
4. Are there any tasks which require professional assistance, and do we
have any professionals within the community who are willing to assume
these responsibilities?
5. What channels of communication are there to avoid contradictory
messages to potential sponsors, supporters, suppliers, etc. -- for
instance, if I am in the process of negotiating a price of $500 for
food, and someone else had already told them we will pay $700, my
position is weakened considerably.
6. Who are the on-the-ground people who will be conducting these
negotiations? What are their relations to the community? Have they
attended the previous Wikimania or other, similar events?
7. Why are we changing the name? How does that help in our effort to
brand our product?
8. Who is qualified to allow the use of our logo without it becoming a
trademark violation? Allowing people to use it freely is a surefire way
to lose our rights to it.
9. WHO IS KEEPING RECORDS OF ALL COSTS, RECEIPTS, ETC. HOW WILL THEY BE
KEPT? (intentionally caps)

Wikimania is an event that will cost tens of thousands of dollars. It
is very easy to blow that kind of money without even noticing it.
Certain key decisions will have to be made in a top-down manner,
considering the financial, legal, and other implications of the
decision.

Danny