[Foundation-l] Benefits of advertising (was Our exponentiallyincreasing costs)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Oct 27 14:45:40 UTC 2005

Poe, Marshall wrote:

>Could someone, just for the benefit of this (relative) outsider and
>journalist, explain what the basic objections are to AdSense type ads on
>Wikipedia? I know you'll be speaking for yourself and not the community,
>and will read the explanations accordingly.

 From my point of view:

1) I think ads on the internet typically look gaudy and unprofessional.
Reliable, authoritative pages from non-profit organizations rarely have
ads---take a look at, say, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy,
which is also in financial straits but ad-free
(http://plato.stanford.edu).  Or http://www.gnu.org.  Take a look at
http://www.dailykos.com for an extreme example of the opposite.

2) By their keyword placement, they allow people with money and a bit of
trial and error to purchase prominently-displayed links to rebuttals on
specific Wikipedia article pages.

-Mark