[Foundation-l] Benefits of advertising (was Our exponentially increasing costs)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:59:17 UTC 2005

Dan Grey wrote:
>On 27/10/05, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A full one-third of that hard core sufficiently dedicated to Wikipedia
>> to spend  their own scarce cash going all the way to Wikimania 2005,
>> wasn't it? Something about that doesn't sound "insignificant" to me.
>> Maybe it does to you.

>I think you're under-estimating the total number of editors WP has,
>over-estimating who'd leave, and over-valuing their importance.
>Where'd you get that figure from anyway?

This list:

http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2005-October/004659.html

"Apparently a poll was done at Wikimania and 2/3 of people were
against it and 1/3 said they'd leave. So yeah, there's one good
argument not to have ads, I guess. I just can't figure out what any of
the other ones are."

(I've only just noticed it was posted by Anthony DiPierro, who may or
may not be a primary source - was he at Wikimania?)

- d.