[Foundation-l] London meet: Wikimedia UK discussion

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Mar 26 20:43:38 UTC 2005

Well, that was fairly productive. "Let's go down the pub and
start a charity!" JDF has the notes, the below is from memory:

JDForrester has registered wikimedia.org.uk. VampWillow has
set up any number of charitable companies, so will be starting
on the paperwork for this one.

The mission will be nicely open-ended. VW will write something
that should get rubber-stamped by the Charity Commissioner.

Once it's got charitable status, people in England and Wales will
certainly be able to make tax-deductible donations to it. People
in Scotland and Northern Ireland *probably* will.

Angela mentioned we can set up a UK Wikimedia mailing list.

What we spend the money on ... servers are a possibility. Kate
had made some noises about coming to London, but didn't. cc'd to
Kate: what would be good technically to buy in the UK?

James, anything I missed above that's in the notes?

Oh, and our London readers might want to pop down to Maplin in
Tottenham Court Road, who had WD Caviar 160GB/8MB hard disks
for £60 and might still have some.

- d.