National chapters (was Re: [Foundation-l] UK Wikimedia Foundation notes)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 28 20:13:03 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales (jwales at wikia.com) [050329 02:15]:
>

>>David Gerard wrote:
>>

>>>Things to watch out for: local foundations being used for nationalist
>>>POV-pushing.
>>>

>>This is one of the reasons it is so important to work very hard from
>>the start to make sure that chapter organizers understand that they
>>are not taking control of a particular language wikipedia.
>>

>One that springs to mind: ownership of essential servers would need to stay
>with the central Foundation, not with local chapters.

The key thing in that is what we mean by "essential".  The argument for
servers and organizations in other countries has nothing to language.  I
do not support for a moment the idea that Canada, or Belgium or
Switzerland ahould have separate legal organizations.  Tax relief and
risk management are certainly more important issues.

Ec