[Foundation-l] Do we have a partnership with Ourmedia?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Mar 24 03:49:34 UTC 2005

Michael Snow wrote:
> http://www.podcastingnews.com/archives/2005/03/ourmedia_offers.html
>
> A story on the Podcasting News website describes Wikipedia as one of the
> "partners in the effort" to launch the Ourmedia project. Is this true? I
> realize that Angela is one of their advisors, but I hadn't heard that
> there was any kind of official partnership. Is there some kind of
> ongoing discussion that the community doesn't know about, or are people
> just being sloppy about the nature of the connection?

Well, I've never heard of them, but the ourmedia.org site has a little
Wikipedia logo and link under 'Sponsors and partners' on every page of
their site.

http://ourmedia.org/mission/partners says:
"Wikipedia is the people's encyclopedia. The free content encyclopedia —
where anyone can write or edit an entry — produced more than 1 million
articles in less than four years. Wikipedia is already larger than any
other English-language encyclopedia, including the Encyclopædia
Britannica. What's most remarkable is that every word is written by
volunteers and no one gets paid for a submission. Wikipedia and Ourmedia
members are committed to creating sharing and sharing works of personal
media."

It sounds more like 'some similarities in mission' than a 'partnership',
and linking to Wikipedia instead of Wikimedia seems kind of odd if it
really is official and nobody's bothered to tell us.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)