[Foundation-l] Do we have a partnership with Ourmedia?

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 03:56:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:25:45 -0800, Michael Snow
<wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
> A story on the Podcasting News website describes Wikipedia as one of the
> "partners in the effort" to launch the Ourmedia project. Is this true?

I'm not entirely sure what it means for Wikipedia to be listed as a
"partner", but my assumption was that it was a reflection of potential
collaboration or shared goals between the projects, rather than
anything more formal. I did speak to Jimbo about this a few weeks ago
when I first saw this on the Ourmedia site, since I wasn't sure if
this should be seen as a problem. He said he didn't care for it, but
when I suggested I could have it removed, he just said he had
complained a bit (I don't know who to), and also said that it was not
a ridiculous statement. He's met with Marc Canter (one of the founders
of Ourmedia) since then, but I don't know if they discussed this
point.

As far as I know, the "partnership" means no more than the people
involved in the projects they list as partners (including the Creative
Commons) are also involved with Ourmedia, which is possibly why they
list Wikipedia rather than the Wikimedia Foundation (though that could
just be an error). Certainly, no formal partnership has been
discussed. The only link between the two projects comes from the fact
that I, and other Wikipedians, have been involved with creating some
of the project's initial policies etc, and that ideas for potential
collaboration have been discussed on the Wikimedia Commons since last
August (when the page was still at Meta). See
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Collaboration_with_Ourmedia>

Angela.

--
Angela Beesley