[Foundation-l] Proposal for New Project Wikirec

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 07:19:46 UTC 2005

Sj  wrote:
> Interesting.  I think this would make more sense as part of a general
> wikigeography project...

I agree with Sj that this would be better as part of a project with a
broader scope.

Related proposals on Meta include:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimaps>
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiatlas>
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiGPS>
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimaps/GeonamenDB>

Is there a way these could be combined?

I think the project would be more useful if the articles were at least
accessible, if not editable, via PDAs etc (without needing to download
a database <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:TomeRaider_database>),
and if they were written in a way which made them easy to read on
these devices, rather than being the sort of 32kb articles Wikipedia
has. h2g2 announced a few days ago that their "encyclopedia" is going
to be available for PDAs:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F77636?thread=609391>

Angela.