[Foundation-l] Re: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 07:02:33 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller a écrit:
> My opinion on the matter is that we should not bow to totalitarian
> regimes, and instead provide readers and editors with the tools to
> circumvent censorship. But I understand that this position is only mine
> and not necessarily that of the WMF. I therefore ask the Board to
> formulate or approve a policy here which I will then follow. That policy
> could mean a separate vote, a higher threshold of creation, or something
> else.

Another very "wiki way" ... would be to wait that people really ask for
the wikinews to be created. You know it is "really" when it begins to
get noisy on mailing lists.

> Regarding the rest of your argument, I will say two things:
>
> 1) As I said before, it doesn't matter whether Wikinews starts as a
> professional project or just as a small experimental wiki. A smaller
> wiki is less visible and less useful, hence less likely to attract
> negative attention. It can, however, grow into something useful over
> time. I find it crucial that people who have an interest in Wikinews
> have a wiki to work on, rather than being told that they have to build
> their community in meta-exile until it is large enough, which is simply
> not practical -- the community grows with the content. We should stop
> being paranoid about the quality of our projects a few days after they
> launch. They are wikis and should be treated as such.

I think it does matter.
When it was created, wikinews was not even labelled a starting wiki.
And the media will soon have its attention on it.

> 2) Inactive wikis should be closed, as simple as that. If
> es.wikinews.org remains dormant, it will be shut down.

Not really. There is always one or two editors. It is unnice to close it
then.

> I also caution against any substantial alteration of the language policy
> for further Wikinews editions, as that would be unfair to the remaining
> languages, some of which are major.

I caution against putting everyone in the same pot, regardless of local
objections.