[Foundation-l] wikinews requirement

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 10:57:20 UTC 2005

I regret that you use fallacies so much Erik.
Trying to remove the requirement that 2 over 5 people are regulars so as to start a project,
by arguing that these 2 might be trolls or want to destroy wikipedia, strike me as deeply dishonnest.

I was deeply deeply unhappy of the creation of the french wikinews,
because this creation was not done according to the support of the french community.
The result is a broken project, which I deeply regret.

I find disquieting that you tried to cool down people like notafish and I by agreeing to add a new requirement
for the creation, only to try to cancel it two weeks later.

You can not at the same time FORCE all communities, without asking their opinion, of not using
images uploads, due to the fear of copyright violations (which is what you did a week ago)

, and at the same time object to using very simple indicators to assert whether editors are aware of our policies (in particular the copyright ones).

This is just illogical. Or rather... the only logic is to open more and more wikinews as quickly as possible.

You just can't expect I support this Erik.

=Nicolas Weeger-> And how can you check the> translation is correct unless you speak the language? :)How do I know the "regular" is not actually a troll without speaking the language? How do I know that the only reason he wants to start a Wikinews isn't that he hates Wikipedia after having spent several months there? How do I know his intentions are good? You could require one of the people to be a sysop, but that seems like an onerous requirement. An algorithmic contribution check is *not* a quality check.Let's be realistic here. What kind of person would intentionally manipulate policies and get away with it under the auspices of other users: a random person who's never been involved in our projects, or someone who is intimately familiar with them? Furthermore, remember that there would still be a requirement of *multiple users* participating. How likely is it that a malicious person would get away with deliberately falsely translating something like NPOV when working with 4
 others?And let's not forget about http://usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?AssumeGoodFaith - the very idea of a wiki is to be open and welcoming to newcomers, rather than requiring people to be members of an existing "clique". If the risk of malicious people ruining the project was so big, then Wikipedia itself could never have been started. Yes, Wikinews is different -- but a Wikinews edition which is likely to attract attention from the outside is also likely to attract attention from the inside, allowing us to deal with malicious users. Yes, Wikinews is different -- and that's why we should be welcoming to *people* who are different and not yet part of our community.Regards,Erik