For improvement of JA situation (Re: [Foundation-l] And blocked again)

notafish notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 14:52:14 UTC 2005

> I did make a check, and found that indeed the Japanese Wikipedia has
> a remarkably low number of admins. It has about the same number as the
> Dutch one (ja: 31, nl: 34), even though the Dutch one is about half
> the size of the Japanese one, and compared to other languages is
> relatively low. The Polish and Swedish Wikipedias have considerably
> more admins. I think that to compare to the other languages, the
> Japanese number could easily be doubled.
>
> > Before diving into the topic, I would like you to remark a fact I am
> > not there a sysadmin.
> > I thought JA WP needed more helper and requested sysopship twice. My
> > requests were
> > rejected with 65-72% approvals [JA WP holds 75% criteria for
> > promotion]. In my view
> > some of JA users are afraid I am a sort of authoritarians, with an
> > iron rod, and/or suspect
> > I don't shere with them the view what Wikipedia should be.

Kind of the same problem arose on fr, Admins were considered cream of
the cream. I have put in place a demythification process here :
*http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Administrateur/Tableau_de_bord_de_l%27administrateur
*http://fr.wikipedia.org/Wikipédia:Administrateur/Processus_de_suppression
*http://fr.wikipedia.org/Wikipédia:Administrateur/Processus_de_blocage
*http://fr.wikipedia.org/Wikipédia:Administrateur/Processus_de_protection
(other links can be found at the bottom of the first page)
which goal was to de-sacralize the admins job. This has definitely
worked on fr to make the admin position clearer and a lot of people
who dreaded becoming an admin for fear of being cast into an
authoritarian category have expressed interest in becoming admins. (4
in the last two weeks), which helps.

I don't know whether this can solve any problems, but it could be a
starting point and I am willing to help putting it together for other
languages if anyone is interested, providing I am supplied with the
appropriate shotscreens.

Cheers,

Delphine