Fwd: For improvement of JA situation (Re: [Foundation-l] And blocked again)

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 12:58:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:25:47 +0900, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Still, I do understand that there is a problem
> > here, and I hope you can solve it. It might be a kind of
> > self-fulfilling prophecy too
>
> I appreciate your understanding. But not only understanding, if
> possible, would I
> like you to give us a help and assistance? I expect it wouldn't be
> helpful not only JA
> but also other projects potentially.

I am not sure what kind of assistance I can give, given that I do not
speak Japanese (well, at least not more than 50 words of it).

I did make a check, and found that indeed the Japanese Wikipedia has
a remarkably low number of admins. It has about the same number as the
Dutch one (ja: 31, nl: 34), even though the Dutch one is about half
the size of the Japanese one, and compared to other languages is
relatively low. The Polish and Swedish Wikipedias have considerably
more admins. I think that to compare to the other languages, the
Japanese number could easily be doubled.

> Before diving into the topic, I would like you to remark a fact I am
> not there a sysadmin.
> I thought JA WP needed more helper and requested sysopship twice. My
> requests were
> rejected with 65-72% approvals [JA WP holds 75% criteria for
> promotion]. In my view
> some of JA users are afraid I am a sort of authoritarians, with an
> iron rod, and/or suspect
> I don't shere with them the view what Wikipedia should be.

Interesting... On nl: we have had all requests approved upto now,
usually with no objections.

Andre Engels