For improvement of JA situation (Re: [Foundation-l] And blocked again)

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Thu Feb 17 23:54:09 UTC 2005

>Kind of the same problem arose on fr, Admins were considered cream of
>the cream. I have put in place a demythification process here :
>*http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Administrateur/Tableau_de_bord_de_l%27administrateur
>*http://fr.wikipedia.org/Wikipédia:Administrateur/Processus_de_suppression
>*http://fr.wikipedia.org/Wikipédia:Administrateur/Processus_de_blocage
>*http://fr.wikipedia.org/Wikipédia:Administrateur/Processus_de_protection
>(other links can be found at the bottom of the first page)
>which goal was to de-sacralize the admins job. This has definitely
>worked on fr to make the admin position clearer and a lot of people
>who dreaded becoming an admin for fear of being cast into an
>authoritarian category have expressed interest in becoming admins. (4
>in the last two weeks), which helps.
>
>I don't know whether this can solve any problems, but it could be a
>starting point and I am willing to help putting it together for other
>languages if anyone is interested, providing I am supplied with the
>appropriate shotscreens.

I kind of did the same on nl: We had only 14 sysops or so. I then went
on a drive to get more and voila we have 34 now. We also had the problem
that people though being a sysop is som kinf of authoritive thing but I
was able with the help of others to debunk that. We got a couple of more
applications now for adminship. So our total number will rise even more!

 I have offered Britty to go around all Japanese users and ask them to
become admin. Maybe we should co-ordinate an effort by first writing a
tex in Japanese oon demystifying the adminship and explain to people why
jawp needs more and then go to everybody's user talkpage we think is
usefull and ask them personally to apply for adminship??? Same like I
did on nl:.

Walter van Kalken

Walter van Kalken