[Foundation-l] Re: promotional items (was no subject)

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 19:54:04 UTC 2005

Angela a écrit:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:26:33 +0100, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I would prefer that this is done on meta rather than foundation.
>

> The point of having it on the foundation wiki is that it would be very
> easy to add to the whitelist the filetypes which the leaflets and
> presentations are in, since only trusted users can upload there. On
> Meta, anyone can upload files, so it is less likely that these
> filetypes would be whitelisted there.

I understand that.

>>Besides, there are two few people registered on the foundation for this
>>to be correct.
>>If necessary, we can limit this ability to sysops only on meta.
>

> There are 41 users on the foundation wiki and 44 admins on meta, so
> even if there was a way to limit uploading of certain file types to
> admins, it wouldn't make much different in terms of the number of
> people able to do this.
>
> Angela.

I understand that as well, but I think meta is the place where we
organise things all together. Not foundation. I wish we stick to what
sites are made for.

Second point : I do not think we should necessarily restrict
communication handling to those part of foundation (hence with an account).
Foundation is here to help wikipedia and related projects to develop,
not to to handle their promotion. I think we should not do anything that
might lead promotion to be only made by foundation people. People should
feel entitled to do so.

Third point : I just do not understand why editors could not just upload
these files on meta; I see not where the risk is.

Basically, if we have room on servers, why could not we simply host
these files ? Why do we need to restrict this ? Where is the problem ?

Ant