[Foundation-l] Re: promotional items (was no subject)

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:06:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:54:04 +0100, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do not think we should necessarily restrict
> communication handling to those part of foundation (hence with an account).

I agree that we shouldn't restrict communication handling to those
with accounts on the foundation wiki. It is just the upload of certain
file types which are currently disallowed that we should be
restricting. It is only the files themselves which would be uploaded
by people on that wiki. Any discussion of them etc can happen on meta.

> Basically, if we have room on servers, why could not we simply host
> these files ? Why do we need to restrict this ? Where is the problem ?

We can host them. We just can't allow anyone to upload potentially
dangerous files. See Brion's email on this when pdf was first
disallowed: http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2004-September/025472.html

Angela.