[Commons-l] Getting our content out there (openstockphotography.org)

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 22:17:20 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> http://www.openstockphotography.org/
> Anyone seen this? This site seems to do NOTHING but mirror Wikimedia
> Commons! (plus add fancy gadgets and drop the technical-license speak)
>
> I found it by accident during a vanity search when it claimed these
> two photos were mine:
> http://www.openstockphotography.org/user/Pfctdayelise (apparently
> pictures on your userpage  must be BY you...)

They are predating our content. Not even knowing how it works (eg licenses).
"All images listed at Open Stock Photography come from Wikimedia Commons
and as such "can be used by anyone, for any purpose[1]""
but they include {{CopyrightByWikimedia}} :P

On the bottom of each page
© Open Stock Photography. All rights reserved.

> anyway click on the coloured graph and try out the 'find
> similar-coloured pictures' - now that's pretty cool!

Yes, it's nice.
Their tools (resize, crop) are links to external sites, so fair easy to
add them to Commons.

> the 'popular searches' are quite amusing, because 99% of them must
> have 0 results.

Seems the typical "internet crap". Would be interesting to know what
does people search on commons.

> their search also seems quite shit in general.
> really weird stuff.
>
> mostly I take this as a sign that Commons is suffering because of the
> limitations of the current MW implementation, which has no fancy
> gadgets for images and no easy handling of them. Goddamit, it is
> frustrating to have all this fantastic content and feel that no one
> knows about it because it's too hard to access. GRRRRRRRRR. This site
> should not be able to exist because WE should be able to do the fancy
> stuff.
> some of it at least.

We should make a list of that features. Then we can get things like
mayflower.
-On browser image edit (adding a link)
-Color search
-<Add your requested feature here>