[Commons-l] Getting our content out there (openstockphotography.org)

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 16 23:40:52 UTC 2007

On 3/16/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.kefk.org/portal/webtravel/china/fenster.yuyuan-gaerten.shanghai
> (maybe a german speaker can tell me something about this site?)

The "Kefk Network" (first time I've heard of it, actually) apparently
is a network of news and hierarchically organized articles, focusing
on tech (like slashdot) and related politics and social stuff, but
also some "classic" cultural things like photography, video, and
classical singing(!).

They claim their structure to be superior to wikis (using wikipedia as
an example) through "semantic features" (didn't check for these) and
hierarchy-based article structure (claimed to be superior to our
category system). They claim to be around since the 1990.

They emphasize FOSS and community aspects, so they apparently want to
be friendly competition. They finance themselves through ads/affiliate
programs with Amazon and others.

The name Kefk stems from C. J. Cherryhs Alliance/ Union Universe-cycle.

de.wikipedia links to a few of their articles.

More than you wanted to know, probably ;-)

Magnus