[Commons-l] Getting our content out there (openstockphotography.org)

Jastrow jastrow at pip-pip.org
Mon Mar 19 19:33:22 UTC 2007

Stan Shebs wrote:

>> anyone else find their photographs in a home beyond commons?
>
> Yup, I've been asked for permission  (apparently people don't quite
> believe the GFDL) for use in various books, although I haven't actually
> *seen* any of these books yet...

Same thing with me with pictures taken in the Louvre and released into
the PD. A lot of people want to know if the Louvre's authorization is
also required. One of them works for a project called "Timeline" funded
by the Ministry of Education in Quebec
(http://www.recitus.qc.ca/gallery/main.php). As far as I can tell, it's
a repository for "free" pictures aimed for school kids; pictures'
licenses seem to be respected. There doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic
there, though.

I also got requests for a written permission note from researchers who
wished to use a picture to illustrate an article. Apparently a lot of
publishers require it now.

--
Jastrow