[Commons-l] Join us now and free the video

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:53:25 UTC 2007

2007/3/9, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

> Today's question: what the hell can we do to come up with something
> big content producers will feel able to release under an actually free
> licence? Something they can feel safe to relax control on? If we can
> get one, we can get more. What can we do to get that first one?

Well, what about finding something that would be almost worthless for them,
yet quite a bit of a help for us. What I'm thinking of is for example still
shots from video footage. The video itself might be worthwhile, but what use
is there in rights on a single frame? Perhaps one or the other broadcasting
company might be swinged to grant us such a right.

Another thing could be getting a "free advertisement" as the "what's in it
for me?" part. Make a medium quality (or low quality) version of an image
free, but force that you are mentioned, and make this mention such that it
refers to a page where you sell a high-quality version/the full series/the
video it comes from.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels