[Advocacy Advisors] freedom of panorama

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 16:50:04 UTC 2015

Michael, I think you're right.

BUT I also think that all the headlines about "your holiday photographs
are threatened" are not ideal,  because they give those who created the
JURI text too easy a way to sidestep away and claim "you've
misunderstood our proposal".

That's why personally I'd prefer the debate to centre on use that *is*
unambiguously commercial (and for our own material to reflect that) --
and to win that debate on the grounds of freedom, access to knowledge,
creativity, the "potentially damaging restriction of the debate about
architecture and public space" as RIBA put it, and part of the very soul
of public art being the public discussion it then sets up.

   -- James