[Advocacy Advisors] Fwd: European chapters: urgent action needed

Tanel Pern tanel.pern at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:26:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

WMEE had a crash meeting on FoP yesterday, where we put together an initial
action plan. Some of our plans mirror what has already been discussed here
(contact MEPs, get a press release out). Some are related to our ongoing
FoP efforts: Current Estonian copyright law only provides for
non-commercial FoP and we've been working on promoting less restricted
regulations. So far, our efforts have met limited success, mainly due to
the fact that FoP is an obscure subject even for those affected -
architects, photographers and so on. So we've put a lot of work into
communicating with creative industry groups. This is something we would
advise others to do under this campaign as well: Our chances of success
will be much better if we can show that Wikipedia is not the only one
affected by the current situation or the Cavada proposal.

Our current plans, thus, include:

* Creating Meta pages and blog posts for getting the info out to our
community
* Publicizing a press release. We'll also try and get an opinion piece
published in national media, but this might prove difficult due to the
present media situation (i.e. massive noise over refugee quotas).
* Contacting our MEPs.
* Getting commissioner Ansip involved. This could be a huge boon, as he's
previously spoken out in support of non-restricted FoP.
* Involving other organizations in the process. This would inclue other
information society and free culture stakeholders, as well as creative
industry groups.

We will, of course, also contribute all we can to the international effort.

Tanel Pern, WMEE