[Advocacy Advisors] InfoSoc Own-Initiative Report Vote Today

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue Jun 16 10:05:24 UTC 2015

Here's a page for us to work through some things and sketch out a general
strategy and plan of action. We can also collaborate on any other materials
we need.

https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/User:Stevie_Benton_(WMUK)/Sandbox/Challenging_the_Cavada_Amendment

Such a stupid amendment!

Stevie

On 16 June 2015 at 11:02, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, trying to think constructively this is the advantage of GESAC being
> to greedy.
>
> Cavada himself was going around telling everyone that he does not want to
> restrict rights in other countries, just to preserve French culture. Well,
> what happened is that they passed language copying bad practices to 15 EU
> countries will a full FoP exception. It is an own initiative report and not
> even the last word on it was spoken, but the general tendency to vote for
> any AMs that restrict use was obvious.
>
> In order to fix this in plenary (6th of July I believe), we would need
> three things now:
> 1. A sensible text for an amendment to table in for the plenary vote that
> attracts very little opposition.
> 2. Getting many rather prominent MEPs from all groups to table this new
> amendment.
> 3. Some media fuzz in the countries that currently have a full exception.

>> One advantage is it gives us something very hard and concrete to kick
>> against -- a real threat we can e.g. try to get on the front page of Metro
>>
>> Sometimes it can be an advantage if people can see the bogeyman in full
>> stark reality.
>>
>>   -- James.
>>

>> On 16/06/2015 10:39, Stevie Benton wrote:
>>
>>> This is terrible.
>>>
>>> I will  start a page on the UK wiki  where  we can throw something
>>> together
>>> On 16 Jun 2015 10:37, "James Heald" <j.heald at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>  I think we should go the full Daily Mail.

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*