[Advocacy Advisors] Legal actions - Freedom of Panorama

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 13:52:41 UTC 2015

On 28 January 2015 at 14:20, James Heald <j.heald at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Wikimedia Commons takes the view that it's not good enough to sat "Okay,
> it's not legal, but we probably won't get sued" -- that is not a good
> approach to encourage, not for a highly visible organisation like WP, nor
> if people are to be encouraged to have a proper respect for copyright laws.

It is also highly unusual for our community to take that stance, since in
EVERY OTHER domain of copyright we go to extraordinary lengths to comply
with every possible variation on copyright law absurdities.
Actually, there is one other area where we "push back" against some
copyright claims which could be valid in some juristictions: faithful scans
of 2dimensional PD works (e.g. Google Art Project).

I wonder why it is that we are SO INCREDIBLY CONSERVATIVE in applying every
and all copyright laws (including former-countries) but we are activitst in
the specific areas of FoP and 2D scans?

-Liam